Among the Unicorns


There is a race scheduled about every weekend in Colorado, from the extreme to the hilarious. 

You sign up, pay a fee, get the t-shirt. We missed the Hot Chocolate Run during the winter due to snow, but we got our jackets and hot chocolate. In Colorado you can run, bicycle, swim, walk, and enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery--while we have it. In the summer the races are held early in the morning, during this hottest summer on record.

Recently my family engaged in the 5K Unicorn Run in Highlands Ranch, as Team Sparkle Ponies. My daughter Rebekah and her hubby Ben, their three kids, and visiting exchange student Mario came, as well as my daughter Abi and her wife Genea.

Granddaughter Carys is an all things unicorn fangirl. The simple word Unicorn is a big draw for early elementary girls. Get those girls engaged in running while they are still playing dress up! The whole family, including Carys, walked or ran the 5K race. Well, mostly.

Princess Carys








Rylan, First Place

Grandson Rylan, 12, who is on his track team in junior high, won in his age group! Another medal! He's now sidelined as he broke a bone in his foot in a scrum of young male teenagers that developed at a recent track meet where the path narrowed.  

His dad Ben was one of the first adult runners, who I got to cheer  coming across the finish line.

Sparkle Ponies Sean, Mario,
Rylan & Carys
I did not run OR walk the 5K, however, given that I have been shut in most of the year with ailments and afflictions, including COVID. Not in shape for a 5K. I decided on The Saunter, a half-mile walk, accompanied by my grandsons Rylan and Sean and Ben. (How long since YOU have sauntered?) They were my Sparkle Pony Protection Detail, in case I fell, which, alas, has happened. Not this time though!  

It's not always us oldsters who fall. Rebekah, ever the emergency room physical therapist and good neighbor, stopped during her 5K to help a young woman who fell and sprained her ankle.  


Rebekah, Unicorn PT in the ED


Cool Down: Abi, Ben Sean 




Sparkle Ponies Abi & Genea, Personal Best
In The Saunter I was among a herd of prancing fairies and unicorns, along with their grannies, many with canes or walkers. The Saunter was a far enough walk that I was a participant and not merely a spectator.

Like the 5K runners, crossing the finish line I was given a cool, damp cloth, though I barely worked up a sweat from my sauntering. The parade marshalls handed each of us a cute participation medal with a unicorn and rainbow on a chain. Plus, I was offered cotton candy to match my t-shirt. So fun!


P.S. One of the components of living a life you love, I believe, is learning something new. I'm setting up a podcast to be called, (*surprise!) "Boomerlife in Colorado: Living a Life You Love!"  Stay tuned.