Podcasts for Boomers and Seniors


Of the five articles I read today, the Number One outstanding favorite show listed for Boomers and Seniors was “This American Life with Ira Glass.” This radio show/podcast has been on the air for ten years, and I understand the raves. I used to listen to it on NPR while driving to work. What I love about podcasts (and Audiobooks, for that matter) is that listening to podcasts is so much like listening to radio, where you can be folding laundry or driving the car and still listen to the show. The plus side for podcasts over radio is that you don’t have to wait for the radio station’s convenience; you can listen whenever you want, with new content every week or sometimes more frequently.

If you aren’t into podcasts yet, here are a couple tips. Most podcasts are posted concurrently on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and several other platforms. Stitcher isn't the biggest, but it hosts more recommended podcasts. Also, YouTube adds video, which you may or may not prefer. Some say that is less intimate. Podcasts are generally recorded and posted on a consistent weekly or biweekly schedule for your listening pleasure. A few podcasts are live on Facebook or Instagram, but those seem to be less predictable.

I’m going to take on listening to the rest of the top five podcasts recommended for Seniors and Boomers this week, and I’ll let you know my impressions. I hope you will let me know what you think as well. If you want to play this game with me and compare notes, here is the list:

               Freakonomics Radio

                99% Invisible

                Stuff You Missed in History Class

                Planet Money

I’m eager to see if we all agree with the Top Five designation. Additional podcasts were recommended. I’m looking forward to checking them out. More to come.