Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself

Happy Baby Boomer with New Haircut

 I'm halfway through a book by Dr. Joe Dispenza, "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One."

So far I haven't lost my mind, but I'm eager to read more. The first two chapters are based on science, specifically the science of energy. The science of atoms and subatomic particles, electromagnetic fields, and wave patterns has progressed amazingly since I was in high school. Given that I'm a Boomer, high school was not that many years after WWII and the in hindsight tragedy of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. 

Dispenza mentioned the atomic models we used in science class, made of styrofoam and toothpicks. It seems those models work for the things we see. But once we get subatomic, we are talking about fields of energy, of how everything ultimately is composed of invisible energy. Including everyone (you and me) and everything (books and churches and mountains and trees.) 

It seems we can easily get addicted to our upsets, ailments, and sorrows, and that it is NOT "all in your head." It's in the cortisol triggered by the brain to deal with all these negative situations and emotions. Highly addictive. But we aren't stuck there, Dispenza says. 

I'm looking forward to digging into the last section that deals with, Okay, now what? 

Spoiler alert: 

It sounds a bit to me like the energy described as suffusing everything is the Holy Spirit/God. Some people call that energy Source or Universal Consciousness that wants the best for us individually and universally. According to Dispenza the remedy has something to do with meditation. Also, Dispenza cites studies on the medical efficacy of prayer. Given that I practice sitting and I also belong to a noon-time prayer group, I'm eager to discover more. 

The books is available at Amazon in paper, Audible, hard cover and spiral bound.

More to come.